Spanish coach to stay on till 2014 Football World Cup
Madrid: Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has confirmed that he would continue in his position until the 2014 Football World Cup finals in Brazil.
Del Bosque was speaking Wednesday after a comfortable 6-0 win against Liechtenstein, which enabled Spain to qualify for the 2012 European Championships and to defend the title they won four years ago.
That title was won under the guidance of Luis Aragones, who Del Bosque replaced immediately afterwards.
The former Real Madrid coach, then led Spain to their first ever World Cup triumph in 2010 and he will now try to do the same again in the next edition.
"I had a meeting with Spanish Football Federation President, Angel Maria Villar and there is nothing that separates up. Everything has been resolved. I have a contract until the end of the European Championships and there is plenty of time to sign the agreement," Del Bosque said.
"I agree with everything that the Federation has proposed and I don`t have any aces up my sleeve. I am transparent in that question," said Del Bosque, who denied that the reason he had not put pen to paper already, was because he was awaiting a possible offer from major clubs in Europe.
The coach also commented on the game, which Spain won with two goals from Alvaro Negredo, two from David Villa and one each from Xavi Hernandez and Sergio Ramos.
"We are happy to have resolved the qualification with six wins in six games and we are pleased to have won and resolved a qualification group, that can always become complicated," said Del Bosque, who didn`t like his side being named as favourites for next summer`s finals.
"We have to defend the title, but we will have tough rivals in Italy, France, England and Portugal."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- US gives proof of Pakistan's hand in Pathankot strike
- 3rd ODI: After contributing with bat, Ben Stokes eager to bowl against Pakistan
- Foreigners should not wear skirts and roam alone at night: Tourism minister
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan spills glamour at Lakme Fashion Week 2016! – View pics
- Most Asian markets slump, Tokyo soars on US rate talk