Spartak Moscow thrash Rubin Kazan in season opener
Moscow: Spartak Moscow`s first competitive match under new coach Murat Yakin ended in a resounding 4-0 win away to Rubin Kazan as the Russian Premier League season got underway on Friday.
A double by forward Artem Dzyuba, who is back at Spartak after a loan spell at Rostov, set the nine-time champions on their way to an impressive victory.
Midfielder Denis Glushakov and Paraguayan striker Lucas Barrios, on as a substitute, were also on target for the capital side.
"It was a superb match and a well-deserved win for us," said Yakin, the Swiss former Basel coach.
"It was very important for us to start the season well. Hopefully we will be able to continue playing this style of football throughout the campaign."
Dzyuba scored 17 goals last season for Rostov and started this campaign with a bang, opening the scoring in the 26th minute following a cross from Argentine midfielder Tino Costa.
Eight minutes after the interval Dzyuba headed home a Dmitry Kombarov centre to make it 2-0.
Glushakov made it 3-0 from a powerful long-range free-kick and Barrios wrapped up a fine victory late on when he converted the rebound after Pavel Yakovlev`s initial shot bounced back off the right post.
Champions CSKA Moscow begin their campaign on Saturday with a capital derby against promoted Torpedo Moscow while Andre Villas-Boas` Zenit are away to Arsenal Tula.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert