Spartak Moscow thrash Rubin Kazan in season opener
Moscow: Spartak Moscow`s first competitive match under new coach Murat Yakin ended in a resounding 4-0 win away to Rubin Kazan as the Russian Premier League season got underway on Friday.
A double by forward Artem Dzyuba, who is back at Spartak after a loan spell at Rostov, set the nine-time champions on their way to an impressive victory.
Midfielder Denis Glushakov and Paraguayan striker Lucas Barrios, on as a substitute, were also on target for the capital side.
"It was a superb match and a well-deserved win for us," said Yakin, the Swiss former Basel coach.
"It was very important for us to start the season well. Hopefully we will be able to continue playing this style of football throughout the campaign."
Dzyuba scored 17 goals last season for Rostov and started this campaign with a bang, opening the scoring in the 26th minute following a cross from Argentine midfielder Tino Costa.
Eight minutes after the interval Dzyuba headed home a Dmitry Kombarov centre to make it 2-0.
Glushakov made it 3-0 from a powerful long-range free-kick and Barrios wrapped up a fine victory late on when he converted the rebound after Pavel Yakovlev`s initial shot bounced back off the right post.
Champions CSKA Moscow begin their campaign on Saturday with a capital derby against promoted Torpedo Moscow while Andre Villas-Boas` Zenit are away to Arsenal Tula.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured