Sporting Clube de Goa beat Pune FC 2-0
Duler: Pune FC`s unbeaten run came to an end as they lost 0-2 Sporting Clube de Goa in the seventh round of Airtel I-League match played at Duler Stadium, Mapusa.
After the barren first half, Clube, who dominated the game throughout, scored through Victorino Fernandes in the 50th and Pratemesh Shirodkar in the stoppage time.
The win takes Clube`s tally to 13 points from seven matches. Pune FC, who suffered their first defeat, have 13 points from six matches.
Sporting Clube de Goa, eager to put themselves on the right track after losing to Mohammedan Sporting in the previous match, kept attacking the rival goal mostly from the right where Vitorino Fernandes looked dangerous and came close to finding the net twice in the first half.
Pune FC`s defence mainstay Calum Angus got injured midway in the first half, and this made home team`s task easier, but somehow they failed to score initially.
Pune FC keeper Arminder Singh did a good job putting out Arturo`s header off Rojen Singh`s free-kick and collecting Ogba Kalu shot from inside the box twice in the first half.
Sporting however kept possession of the ball in the second half with delightful passes and broke the deadlock in the 50th minute. Shirodkar who took the free-kick relayed the ball to Rowilin who passed the ball to Arturo and the latter sent a goal mouth cross for Victorino Fernandes who slotted the ball into the net.
Fernandes`s low drive in the 68th minute, however, brushed diving keeper Arminder Singh`s fingers and went out.
Pune FC played without a regular keeper for the last 14 minutes after Singh received second yellow for a foul on substitute Velito Cruz just outside the box.
They had their only chance to find the equaliser in the dying minute, but new recruit Mustapha Riga was denied a goal by defender Mathew Gonsalves.
Soon, Sporting`s Pratemesh Shirodkar found the net, as he was set up by Rowllin Borges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez