Sporting Clube De Goa defeat Shillong Lajong
Shillong: Sporting clube de Goa registered their first win of the season even as Shillong Lajong FC suffered their first loss at home during their third round I-League encounter played at the JN Stadium here on Saturday.
The match ended 1-0 in favour of Sporting.
Lajong were defensive but whenever their opponents were caught napping, they regrouped to create chances.
A corner kick by Cajetan Fernandes saw tall Kalu Ogba heading home the winning goal for the visitor in the 37th minute of the match, dashing the hopes of the 15,000 strong Shillong Lajong fans.
Lajong tactically delayed the match and referee Pranjal Banerjee penalised Rowlin Borges and others including the goalkeeper were warned.
Lajong`s Trinidad and Tobago striker Ornell Glen was not up to the mark for the second consecutive match and this was evident from the several chances he missed.
Glen missed Robin Gurung`s cross ball in the box in the 32nd minute during which he fumbled and let the ball roll easily into the keeper`s hand.
Lajong`s chance of equalising came in the dying minutes of the first half when Boithang`s free kick hit the cross bar.
The home side returned stronger in the second half and a few combinations between Glen and Boithang Hoakip had Sporting worried even as Milan Singh backed the duo well.
Boithang wasted another opportunity in the 66th minutes of the match when he missed a cross ball from Milan Singh as his header went wide of the goal.
The match was delayed in the second half when the visibility was well below 60 per cent. Match Commissioner Ravi Shankar postponed the match by over 30 minutes during which the floodlights were readied.
Returning from the second break, Lajong were up and attacking but their strikers failed to convert any of the clear chances they had.
Seikhohao Tuboi who replaced Glen missed an open chance in the 86th minutes of the match as his shot landed straight into the goalkeeper.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference