Sporting Clube De Goa defeat Shillong Lajong
Shillong: Sporting clube de Goa registered their first win of the season even as Shillong Lajong FC suffered their first loss at home during their third round I-League encounter played at the JN Stadium here on Saturday.
The match ended 1-0 in favour of Sporting.
Lajong were defensive but whenever their opponents were caught napping, they regrouped to create chances.
A corner kick by Cajetan Fernandes saw tall Kalu Ogba heading home the winning goal for the visitor in the 37th minute of the match, dashing the hopes of the 15,000 strong Shillong Lajong fans.
Lajong tactically delayed the match and referee Pranjal Banerjee penalised Rowlin Borges and others including the goalkeeper were warned.
Lajong`s Trinidad and Tobago striker Ornell Glen was not up to the mark for the second consecutive match and this was evident from the several chances he missed.
Glen missed Robin Gurung`s cross ball in the box in the 32nd minute during which he fumbled and let the ball roll easily into the keeper`s hand.
Lajong`s chance of equalising came in the dying minutes of the first half when Boithang`s free kick hit the cross bar.
The home side returned stronger in the second half and a few combinations between Glen and Boithang Hoakip had Sporting worried even as Milan Singh backed the duo well.
Boithang wasted another opportunity in the 66th minutes of the match when he missed a cross ball from Milan Singh as his header went wide of the goal.
The match was delayed in the second half when the visibility was well below 60 per cent. Match Commissioner Ravi Shankar postponed the match by over 30 minutes during which the floodlights were readied.
Returning from the second break, Lajong were up and attacking but their strikers failed to convert any of the clear chances they had.
Seikhohao Tuboi who replaced Glen missed an open chance in the 86th minutes of the match as his shot landed straight into the goalkeeper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit
- Global stocks extend losses, sterling near 30-year lows in Brexit aftermath
- Gunbattle breaks out between security forces, militants in J&K's Kupwara
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks unapologetically sexy on the cover of Vogue India – See pic