Sporting rally to beat Pune FC 4-2
Margao: Sporting Clube de Goa extended their unbeaten run in the second leg of I-League as they came from behind to score a 4-2 win over Pune FC in the 18th round of the football championship on Wednesday.
Early strike by Keita Mandjou (7th, 21st) helped Pune FC take lead but Kalu Ogba scored a brace to level the score at the Nehru Stadium.
Sporting looked more resourceful in the second half as James Moga (82nd) and Dawson Fernandes (injury time) scored to complete a comprehensive win. With this victory, Sporting has taken its tally to 27 points from 18 matches.
Pune FC, who lost their first match in the second leg, remained on 28 points from 18 matches.
With two of their main defenders not playing due to suspension, Sporting`s fear of conceding early goal came true in the 7th minute. Douhou Pierre essayed a shot which the rival keeper blocked. The rebound came to Mandjou on top of the box and he found the net.
Pune FC increased the lead in the 21st minute again through Mandjou. The visitors, who started well, lost momentum after scoring two goals. The Goa outfit hit back through Ogba, who scored a brace, one of them via penalty, to leave the score at 2-2 at half time.
Sporting looked a different side after the change of ends as they looked more aggressive in their attacks. After several attempts they succeeded in taking lead in the the 82nd minute.
Freiman Peixoto, from the right, laid a long pass to James Moga, who beat a defender from inside the box and took a low shot that found the far corner of the net.
Dawson Fernandes then made the issue safe for Sporting when he scored from an acute angle after getting past a rival defender and took a shot that kissed the post before finding the net.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town