Sporting win delays Benfica`s title hopes
Lisbon: Benfica`s hopes of clinching the Portuguese football league were delayed after Sporting beat Gil Vicente 2-0 at the Alavada Stadium in the 27th round.
Slimani headed the ball in following a pass by Carrilo in the second minute while Heldon Ramos scored in the 90th, his first goal for Sporting, Saturday, reports Xinhua.
The victory means Benfica won`t be clinching the league title this weekend, while Sporting could qualify for the Champions League if Porto doesn`t win in Braga Sunday.
Sporting has won five consecutive games and has remained unbeaten in eight. It remains in second place and now has 63 points, four less than Benfica and 11 more than FC Porto.
Joao Vicente`s team won two matches in the beginning of March but has now lost five consecutive games, and remain 12th in the Portuguese league with 27 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on
- Funny video alert! ‘Housefull 3’ trio - Akshay Kumar, Abhishek Bachchan and Riteish Deshmukh - goes crazy
- Check jkbose.co.in for JKBOSE 12th Results 2016: Jammu and Kashmir Board Class 12 results declared
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper deal: Manohar Parrikar to make statement in Parliament today