Spurs beat Chelsea to Pienaar signing
London: Everton`s South Africa midfielder Steven Pienaar joined Tottenham Hotspur after rejecting the chance to join Premier League rivals Chelsea.
"We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with Everton and Steven Pienaar for the player`s transfer to the club," Tottenham said in a statement on their website.
The 28-year-old had also negotiated with Premier League champions Chelsea about a move to Stamford Bridge, but Spurs boss Harry Redknapp confirmed he had chosen to move to White Hart Lane.
"He had talks with Chelsea and he had talks with us and he has decided to come to us," Redknapp told reporters.
Pienaar joined Everton from German side Borussia Dortmund in 2007, initially on loan, before making the move permanent a year later.
His Everton contract was due expire at the end of the season and he rejected the offer of an extension.
Everton said on Monday they had accepted an offer from Tottenham for Pienaar, who missed Sunday`s Merseyside Derby against Liverpool following confirmation that a bid from Chelsea had been accepted.
He has made 20 appearances this season, scoring a solitary goal against Manchester United in September.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed