Spurs lose Paulinho for a month as Adam row continues
London: Tottenham`s Brazil midfielder Paulinho will be sidelined for a month after suffering ankle ligament damage following a collision with Stoke`s Charlie Adam, who has a tainted history against the North Londoners.
Paulinho was making his first start under current Spurs manager Tim Sherwood when Adam clattered into him with 28 minutes left in the 3-0 win for the White Hart Lane club.
Adam avoided a booking for the challenge but not the anger of Tottenham fans and staff, as this was the fourth time he has been involved in a high-profile incident against Spurs.
During his time with Blackpool, Liverpool and Stoke, the 28-year-old has previously clashed with Gareth Bale on two occasions and once with Scott Parker.
Tottenham`s anger at yet another incident was clear in a statement on Paulinho`s condition released this morning, unusually highlighting the perpetrator`s role in the incident.
"Following a MRI scan, the club can confirm that Paulinho has sustained significant ligament damage to his right ankle after a heavy challenge from Charlie Adam during Sunday`s win against Stoke City," read a statement on the club`s website.
Tottenham are reportedly considering making a formal complaint about the Scotland international, who came close to moving to White Hart Lane from Blackpool in January 2011.
Adam has since become a hate figure with Spurs fans and was booed onto the pitch on Sunday, but rejected the notion of having an issue with Tottenham.
"Just for the record and to the people tweeting me abuse saying so, I don`t and never have had anything against @SpursOfficial," he tweeted via his account, @Charlie26Adam. "And I would never intend to injure a fellow professional."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees