Spurs lose Paulinho for a month as Adam row continues
London: Tottenham`s Brazil midfielder Paulinho will be sidelined for a month after suffering ankle ligament damage following a collision with Stoke`s Charlie Adam, who has a tainted history against the North Londoners.
Paulinho was making his first start under current Spurs manager Tim Sherwood when Adam clattered into him with 28 minutes left in the 3-0 win for the White Hart Lane club.
Adam avoided a booking for the challenge but not the anger of Tottenham fans and staff, as this was the fourth time he has been involved in a high-profile incident against Spurs.
During his time with Blackpool, Liverpool and Stoke, the 28-year-old has previously clashed with Gareth Bale on two occasions and once with Scott Parker.
Tottenham`s anger at yet another incident was clear in a statement on Paulinho`s condition released this morning, unusually highlighting the perpetrator`s role in the incident.
"Following a MRI scan, the club can confirm that Paulinho has sustained significant ligament damage to his right ankle after a heavy challenge from Charlie Adam during Sunday`s win against Stoke City," read a statement on the club`s website.
Tottenham are reportedly considering making a formal complaint about the Scotland international, who came close to moving to White Hart Lane from Blackpool in January 2011.
Adam has since become a hate figure with Spurs fans and was booed onto the pitch on Sunday, but rejected the notion of having an issue with Tottenham.
"Just for the record and to the people tweeting me abuse saying so, I don`t and never have had anything against @SpursOfficial," he tweeted via his account, @Charlie26Adam. "And I would never intend to injure a fellow professional."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore