Sterling signs new Liverpool deal
London: The 18-year-old has signed a long-term contract with the Reds and expressed his delight at fulfilling a "dream", while manager Raheem-Sterling has hailed it as a "fantastic" moment
Liverpool have confirmed that 18-year-old winger Raheem Sterling has signed a new long-term contract with the club.
Sterling was on the brink of signing a five-year-deal with the Reds.
And Liverpool have today confirmed that the talented youngster has pledged his future to the Merseyside club.
Sterling told the club`s official website: "It`s every 18-year-old`s dream. I`m just really grateful to be at such a big club like this.
"There`s a lot more to be done. I haven`t begun yet, as the manager has said. Hopefully I can kick on after the New Year and try to do my best for the team and the football club."
Sterling was signed from QPR in 2010 for an initial fee believed to be around £500,000 and has since gone on to become a first-team regular at Anfield.
Having chalked up 25 appearances so far this term, Sterling`s form was impressive enough to earn him his first international call-up for Roy Hodgson`s England side in November.
Managing director Ian Ayre said: "This is another positive step forward for the football club in securing the long-term future of one of the country`s brightest young talents.
"The negotiations were very positive and both parties acted in a very responsible way to reach an outcome that benefits both Raheem and Liverpool FC."
Meanwhile, Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has revealed that the young starlet still has a long way to go at the club, despite his promising start.
"I always congratulate players when they sign a new contract and then I warn them," Rodgers told reporters.
"I tell them they need to decide after this contract whether there is going to be another contract at one of the biggest clubs in the world or whether it will be at a different level. They can`t rely on this contract and I make sure they know that.
"He has been rewarded as a young player who, at 18 years of age, has come in and performed very well. He will never be elevated above his position here at the club, but he has been rightly rewarded and it is fantastic for the football club."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in