Steven Gerrard scores twice from spot as Liverpool crush Manchester United
London: Two Steven Gerrard penalties helped Liverpool to a crushing 3-0 victory at bitter rivals Manchester United on Sunday to leave them breathing down the necks of Premier League leaders Chelsea.
Gerrard`s strikes either side of halftime put the visitors in control and Luis Suarez sealed only Liverpool`s second win at Old Trafford in nearly 10 years with a well-taken third.
Skipper Gerrard could have completed a rare hat-trick of spot kicks but struck the post after Nemanja Vidic was red-carded for tripping Daniel Sturridge shortly before Suarez completed the rout.
Gerrard`s first penalty after 33 minutes followed a deliberate handball by Rafael that could have earned the defender a second yellow card, while his second shortly after the break was for a clumsy Phil Jones challenge on Joe Allen.
United`s afternoon went from bad to worse when Vidic sent Sturridge sprawling in the area with a lunging tackle and though Gerrard could not beat David de Gea for a third time Suarez`s neat finish after 84 minutes capped a dazzling Liverpool display.
Defeat left United languishing in seventh place with 48 points, 11 adrift of fourth-placed Arsenal who are in action later on Sunday at north London rivals Tottenham Hotspur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Man held for raping 5-year-old girl, torturing 2-yr old sibling
- BSP workers abusing Dayashankar's wife, daughter: BJP
- Kabali movie review: Rajinikanth is the driving force in this otherwise trite tale!
- AN-32 aircraft with 29 aboard missing; Indian Air Force intensifies search operation
- Milo Yiannopoulos Twitter ban: WikiLeaks threatens to start its own micro-blogging service