Struggling Getafe sack Luis Garcia
Madrid: Luis Garcia`s three-year reign in charge of La Liga side Getafe came to an end on Monday as he was sacked with former player Cosmin Contra set to take over.
The Madrid side haven`t won in the league for 12 games stretching back to November leaving them just on point above the relegation zone in 15th place.
The final straw for the club`s board came on Saturday as they were beaten 2-0 away to bottom club Real Betis.
"It is a sad day. From the bottom of my heart I hope that Getafe continue for another year in La Liga as they are now," Garcia told a press conference.
"In my 113 games in charge we have fulfilled our objectives apart from in the last 12.
"The first two years were good. In the Cup we have eliminated bigger teams and there have been great moments like when we beat Real Madrid and Barcelona.
"This bad run has been the worst moment."
The club is now expected to hire 38-year-old Romanian Contra, who played for the club between 2005 and 2010, for the final 11 games of the season.
Contra had been in charge of Petrolul Ploiesti in his homeland, but they confirmed on Monday that he had left his post to further his managerial career back in Spain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder