Struggling Getafe sack Luis Garcia
Madrid: Luis Garcia`s three-year reign in charge of La Liga side Getafe came to an end on Monday as he was sacked with former player Cosmin Contra set to take over.
The Madrid side haven`t won in the league for 12 games stretching back to November leaving them just on point above the relegation zone in 15th place.
The final straw for the club`s board came on Saturday as they were beaten 2-0 away to bottom club Real Betis.
"It is a sad day. From the bottom of my heart I hope that Getafe continue for another year in La Liga as they are now," Garcia told a press conference.
"In my 113 games in charge we have fulfilled our objectives apart from in the last 12.
"The first two years were good. In the Cup we have eliminated bigger teams and there have been great moments like when we beat Real Madrid and Barcelona.
"This bad run has been the worst moment."
The club is now expected to hire 38-year-old Romanian Contra, who played for the club between 2005 and 2010, for the final 11 games of the season.
Contra had been in charge of Petrolul Ploiesti in his homeland, but they confirmed on Monday that he had left his post to further his managerial career back in Spain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh