Struggling Getafe sack Luis Garcia
Madrid: Luis Garcia`s three-year reign in charge of La Liga side Getafe came to an end on Monday as he was sacked with former player Cosmin Contra set to take over.
The Madrid side haven`t won in the league for 12 games stretching back to November leaving them just on point above the relegation zone in 15th place.
The final straw for the club`s board came on Saturday as they were beaten 2-0 away to bottom club Real Betis.
"It is a sad day. From the bottom of my heart I hope that Getafe continue for another year in La Liga as they are now," Garcia told a press conference.
"In my 113 games in charge we have fulfilled our objectives apart from in the last 12.
"The first two years were good. In the Cup we have eliminated bigger teams and there have been great moments like when we beat Real Madrid and Barcelona.
"This bad run has been the worst moment."
The club is now expected to hire 38-year-old Romanian Contra, who played for the club between 2005 and 2010, for the final 11 games of the season.
Contra had been in charge of Petrolul Ploiesti in his homeland, but they confirmed on Monday that he had left his post to further his managerial career back in Spain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Japan police search home of suspect in stabbing spree
- 5 affordable hatchbacks with first-in-class features –Check out
- Twitter's Android app makes night-time tweeting easy
- Chinese troops camp in Uttarakhand's Chamoli, PLA helicopter violates Indian airspace
- Assam flood toll 12, CM makes statement in House