Stuttgart stun Frankfurt in German Bundesliga
Berlin: Struggling Stuttgart ended a negative run of form when they came from behind to grab a 2-1 win to close the 26th round in German Bundesliga.
Frankfurt were unable to make use of slip-ups by their rivals suffering their ninth loss of the season due to the deciding goal by Stuttgart`s Georg Niedermeier, who kept his side away from relegation battle.
Frankfurt made a determined start to the match and were rewarded when Stefan Aigner broke the deadlock in the 17th minute.
Frankfurt`s Primin Schwegler passed the ball into the path of Aigner, who had no problems in beating the onrushing Stuttgart goalkeeper Sven Ulreich with a shot into the far post corner.
The visitors tried to respond but Frankfurt remained dangerous on counter attacks.
However, Stuttgart restored parity through Vedad Ibisevic. Frankfurt`s Schwegler brought down Arthur Boka inside the box and Ibisevic made no mistake from the penalty spot.
Frankfurt attacked and came close to taking the lead for the second time but Alexander Meier as well as Takashi Inui were unable to make use of their chances. Instead Stuttgart grabbed the lead through Niedermeier who headed home a corner in the 71st minute.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'