Sunderland sign Gomez from Wigan
London: Sunderland signed Spanish midfielder Jordi Gomez from Wigan on a free transfer on Thursday.
Gomez agreed a three-year contract and became the Premier League club`s second new recruit in two days after defender Billy Jones joined the Black Cats from West Bromwich Albion.
"Sunderland AFC has confirmed that Spanish midfielder Jordi Gomez has agreed a three-year deal at the Stadium of Light and will become a Sunderland player from July 1," a statement on the club`s website confirmed.
After graduating from the Barcelona academy, Gomez spent two years with Espanyol before joining Roberto Martinez`s Swansea on loan in 2008.
He followed Martinez to Wigan in 2009 and helped the Latics win the FA Cup in 2013.
Gomez scored 11 times this season to help the Latics into the Championship play-offs and earn him the club`s player of the year award.
However, Wigan`s play-off semi-final loss to QPR condemned Uwe Rosler`s men to another season in the second tier and persuaded Gomez it was time to leave the DW Stadium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof