Sunderland sign Gomez from Wigan
London: Sunderland signed Spanish midfielder Jordi Gomez from Wigan on a free transfer on Thursday.
Gomez agreed a three-year contract and became the Premier League club`s second new recruit in two days after defender Billy Jones joined the Black Cats from West Bromwich Albion.
"Sunderland AFC has confirmed that Spanish midfielder Jordi Gomez has agreed a three-year deal at the Stadium of Light and will become a Sunderland player from July 1," a statement on the club`s website confirmed.
After graduating from the Barcelona academy, Gomez spent two years with Espanyol before joining Roberto Martinez`s Swansea on loan in 2008.
He followed Martinez to Wigan in 2009 and helped the Latics win the FA Cup in 2013.
Gomez scored 11 times this season to help the Latics into the Championship play-offs and earn him the club`s player of the year award.
However, Wigan`s play-off semi-final loss to QPR condemned Uwe Rosler`s men to another season in the second tier and persuaded Gomez it was time to leave the DW Stadium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- These globetrotting stars will give you serious travel goals – View pics
- Zika virus infects placenta, claim researchers!
- Johnny Depp's lawyer responds to Amber Heard's abuse allegations
- Govt should pluck up courage for bold reforms, engage Oppn: Chidambaram
- Facebook to track non-users around the internet