Sunil Chhetri: I am injury free for the first time and it shows
Bangalore: Sunil Chhetri was pleased with his performance as he score two crucial goals in the second half against Mohammedan Sporting which consolidated his team’s position at the top of the table after round 14 of the I-League.
“Yes, I’m going through the best period of my career. I’ve lost a lot of time in Indian football due to injury in the past, especially at Mohun Bagan and East Bengal. This has been a rare opportunity for me to start a season fresh and injury-free. That’s why I’m enjoying it the most.
“Touch wood, I remain fit for the rest of the season,” said Chhetri.
Despite leading the table, Chhetri doesn’t want to think of winning the title just as yet as he wants to concentrate on each match at a time.
“We are taking one match at a time. Our coach (Ashley Westwood) always says to think of our next match and not anything else. We are just following his instructions. Our next match is against East Bengal at home. So we will be thinking about that match. But thanks to the gaffer (manager Westwood), everything is in order at the club. It has helped the team gel together and perform as a unit.”
Chhetri hasn’t been playing as a number nine or ten but instead is a part of the attacking trio and is operating from the left.
“We have three people who can play as the main striker - Sean Rooney, Thoi Singh and myself. It was getting too crowded. It was a conscious decision to play me on the wide. Initially, I was finding it difficult, but now I am comfortable. I am learning to defend when opposition is on the break. That’s something I am working hard at.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country