Sunil Chhetri: I am injury free for the first time and it shows
Bangalore: Sunil Chhetri was pleased with his performance as he score two crucial goals in the second half against Mohammedan Sporting which consolidated his team’s position at the top of the table after round 14 of the I-League.
“Yes, I’m going through the best period of my career. I’ve lost a lot of time in Indian football due to injury in the past, especially at Mohun Bagan and East Bengal. This has been a rare opportunity for me to start a season fresh and injury-free. That’s why I’m enjoying it the most.
“Touch wood, I remain fit for the rest of the season,” said Chhetri.
Despite leading the table, Chhetri doesn’t want to think of winning the title just as yet as he wants to concentrate on each match at a time.
“We are taking one match at a time. Our coach (Ashley Westwood) always says to think of our next match and not anything else. We are just following his instructions. Our next match is against East Bengal at home. So we will be thinking about that match. But thanks to the gaffer (manager Westwood), everything is in order at the club. It has helped the team gel together and perform as a unit.”
Chhetri hasn’t been playing as a number nine or ten but instead is a part of the attacking trio and is operating from the left.
“We have three people who can play as the main striker - Sean Rooney, Thoi Singh and myself. It was getting too crowded. It was a conscious decision to play me on the wide. Initially, I was finding it difficult, but now I am comfortable. I am learning to defend when opposition is on the break. That’s something I am working hard at.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah