Swansea beat Reading to seal promotion to Premier League
London: Swansea City became the first Welsh club to reach England`s top flight since 1983 when they beat Reading 4-2 in an enthralling promotion playoff final at Wembley.
Scott Sinclair`s hat-trick, including two penalties, and a Stephen Dobbie goal earned Swansea victory in a game worth an estimated 90 million pounds (USD 148.3 million) in increased revenue.
Swansea, who finished third in the Championship behind promoted Queens Park Rangers and Norwich City, led 3-0 at halftime but Reading roared back with a Joe Allen own goal and a Matt Mills header.
However, Sinclair struck his second penalty with 10 minutes remaining to ease the nerves of 40,000 Swansea fans inside the stadium and return the club to the top echelon for the first time since they were relegated in 1983.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad