Sydney loss raises doubts over Del Piero future
Sydney: Italian great Alessandro Del Piero may have played his last game for Sydney FC after they bowed out of the A-League title race to Melbourne Victory on Friday.
Brazilian Gui Finkler knocked Del Piero`s Sydney FC out with a stoppage time goal in a 2-1 win in Melbourne.
The first play-off looked headed for extra-time until Finkler`s late intervention.
A pulsating game, in which Archie Thompson opened the scoring for the home side before Seb Ryall`s first-half equaliser, was fizzling out until Adama Traore`s cross found the Brazilian unmarked in the penalty area.
His volley past Vedran Janjetovic was decisive, extending Victory`s season by at least one game - and giving two Sydney FC men uncertain futures.
Frank Farina`s coaching tenure will be under scrutiny, while fans will be wondering whether they have seen the last of Del Piero.
Del Piero, who turns 40 in November, said he was looking forward to a rest after his second season in the A-League and was talking to Sydney FC officials about his future.
Defending champions Central Coast Mariners play Adelaide United in this weekend`s other elimination play-off on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region- Part II
- DNA: Court acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching case