Sydney loss raises doubts over Del Piero future
Sydney: Italian great Alessandro Del Piero may have played his last game for Sydney FC after they bowed out of the A-League title race to Melbourne Victory on Friday.
Brazilian Gui Finkler knocked Del Piero`s Sydney FC out with a stoppage time goal in a 2-1 win in Melbourne.
The first play-off looked headed for extra-time until Finkler`s late intervention.
A pulsating game, in which Archie Thompson opened the scoring for the home side before Seb Ryall`s first-half equaliser, was fizzling out until Adama Traore`s cross found the Brazilian unmarked in the penalty area.
His volley past Vedran Janjetovic was decisive, extending Victory`s season by at least one game - and giving two Sydney FC men uncertain futures.
Frank Farina`s coaching tenure will be under scrutiny, while fans will be wondering whether they have seen the last of Del Piero.
Del Piero, who turns 40 in November, said he was looking forward to a rest after his second season in the A-League and was talking to Sydney FC officials about his future.
Defending champions Central Coast Mariners play Adelaide United in this weekend`s other elimination play-off on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- OP Jaisha marathon row: Vijay Goyal passes the buck to IOA, assures probe
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!
- Status of political parties to be reviewed every 10 years