Syria, Jordan confirm Nehru Cup participation
New Delhi: Syria and Jordan have confirmed participation in the Nehru Cup football tournament in Delhi August 16-26 and the All-India Football Federation (AIFF) is waiting to hear from African powerhouses Cameroon and Nigeria.
Announcing this on the sidelines of the federation`s platinum jubilee celebrations here Saturday, AIFF general secretary Kushal Das said invitation has been extended to Thailand, Costa Rica, Malaysia and Zambia.
"So far only Syria and Jordan have confirmed their participation and we are hoping that either Cameroon or Nigeria would also agree to play," said Das.
"If Nigeria and Cameroon don`t participate, there will still be good teams like Costa Rica, Thailand, Malaysia and Zambia and some of them should accept our invitation," he added.
On India hosting the under-17 FIFA World Cup, Das said the security issue was the sticking point as the states which would play the hosts have to give the undertaking.
"Meetings of the venue officials will be held in July, but the states have to resolve the security issue as it is their subject," he said.
India needs at least six world-class stadia to be able to host the event. The AIFF has short-listed eight venues -- New Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore, Pune, Guwahati, Goa and Kochi.
"We have already got assurances from four states - Assam, Kerala, Delhi and Goa," Das concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video
- John Kerry to travel to Geneva on Sunday in show of support for Syria ceasefire: US
- Istanbul braces for police lockdown on May Day
- Jat leaders to hold ‘jail bharo’ movement in Haryana today, section 144 imposed in Jind