Syria, Jordan confirm Nehru Cup participation
New Delhi: Syria and Jordan have confirmed participation in the Nehru Cup football tournament in Delhi August 16-26 and the All-India Football Federation (AIFF) is waiting to hear from African powerhouses Cameroon and Nigeria.
Announcing this on the sidelines of the federation`s platinum jubilee celebrations here Saturday, AIFF general secretary Kushal Das said invitation has been extended to Thailand, Costa Rica, Malaysia and Zambia.
"So far only Syria and Jordan have confirmed their participation and we are hoping that either Cameroon or Nigeria would also agree to play," said Das.
"If Nigeria and Cameroon don`t participate, there will still be good teams like Costa Rica, Thailand, Malaysia and Zambia and some of them should accept our invitation," he added.
On India hosting the under-17 FIFA World Cup, Das said the security issue was the sticking point as the states which would play the hosts have to give the undertaking.
"Meetings of the venue officials will be held in July, but the states have to resolve the security issue as it is their subject," he said.
India needs at least six world-class stadia to be able to host the event. The AIFF has short-listed eight venues -- New Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore, Pune, Guwahati, Goa and Kochi.
"We have already got assurances from four states - Assam, Kerala, Delhi and Goa," Das concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf