Tamil Nadu boys to take on Ukraine in semis
New Delhi: The onus will be on Sports Hostel, Tamil Nadu to stop a foreign team from reaching the final of the U-17 Subroto Cup Football tournament after they got the better of Air Force School, Subroto Park 1-0 in the quarterfinals here today.
The Tamil Nadu side will face Ukraine`s FC Dynamo Kyiv, who defeated Steqlal High School, Afghanistan 2-0 in an ill-tempered encounter that saw the Asian side reduced to eight men.
In the first quarterfinals, both Air Force School and Sports Hostel boys played with purpose and created quite a few chances.
It was Tamil Nadu who struck in the fifth minute when Y Puviarasan found the net in the fifth minute. The Air Force team pushed hard for an equaliser but goalkeeper T Manikandanam proved too good for the Delhi boys.
"It was difficult with the attack they were creating. There were close to half a dozen saves that I had to do. We had to change our strategy and our forwards too had fallen back to strengthen our defence," Manikandan said after the match.
Ukraine were also stretched by the Afghanistan side that displayed a creative passing strategy.
But Rostyslav Taranvhra put them ahead in the 32nd minute and Artem Jovbasa doubled the lead five minutes later.
Afghanistan were then reduced to nine men after two of their players were given marching orders, one of them sent off for picking up a fight with the referee.
On behalf of the organising committee it was said, "the refree`s report is awaited and based on which we will take appropriate action."
The Sports Hostel, Tamil Nadu 1 (Y Puviarasan 5) bt Air Force School Subroto Park 0.
FC Dynamo Kyiv, Ukraine 2 (Rostyslav Taranvhra 32; Artem Jovbasa 37) bt Steqlal High School, Afghanistan 0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'