Teenage fan confesses to stadium flare tragedy
Rio De Janeiro: A 17-year-old Corinthians fan has made an impassioned plea for forgiveness after admitting to throwing the flare that killed Bolivian boy Kevin Beltran Espada during a Copa Libertadores football match last Wednesday.
The Brazilian teenager, who revealed only his initials H.A.M, said Sunday he had decided to make the confession after being haunted by guilt, reports Xinhua.
"First of all I want to say sorry not only to the family of Kevin, but to all the guys who were arrested," H.A.M said. "I feel like the worst person in the world. I bitterly regret what I did.
"I am not protecting anybody. I only want to assume responsibility for what I did because it`s not right that others pay the price for something they didn`t do."
Twelve Corinthians fans remain in police custody in the Bolivian city of Oruro, two of whom who have been charged with homicide.
The incident occurred while Corinthians supporters celebrated a first-half goal during their team`s 1-1 draw against San Jose at the Jesss Bermudez stadium.
H.A.M said he only learned of the boy`s death while leaving the stadium after the match. He did not immediately confess to the crime due to his "fear" of the consequences.
The teenager will present himself to a children`s court in the city of Guarulhos on Monday, according to his lawyer Ricardo Cabral.
Corinthians have been ordered to play their remaining 2013 Copa Libertadores home matches behind closed doors by South American football`s governing body Conmebol.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Malaika Arora maintains silence over Salman's rape metaphor
- `Run machine` Virat Kohli credits physical fitness for consistency in performance
- LeEco sells 61,000 units of Le 2 and Le Max2 for online sales record of Rs 78 cr
- Madhuri Dixit turns singer on reality show
- Tripura Civil Service officer rapes woman in Agartala, now absconding