Terry grabs late Chelsea winner to end Everton resistance
London: John Terry grabbed a stoppage-time winner to snatch Chelsea a 1-0 win over Everton on Saturday which maintained the London club`s Premier League title challenge.
After drawing their last league game against West Bromwich Albion and suffering a chastening FA Cup defeat to rivals Manchester City, Jose Mourinho`s side were looking for a morale-boosting return to form.
Yet they looked sluggish for most of the match and when they finally sparked into life they came up against a stubborn Everton rearguard which only crumbled when a free kick from Frank Lampard found Terry who slid the ball home from close range.
Leaders Chelsea moved to 60 points from 27 games, four clear of second-placed Arsenal who face Sunderland at home later on Saturday.
Everton stayed sixth with 45 points from 26, eight adrift of Liverpool in fourth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win