Terry grabs late Chelsea winner to end Everton resistance
London: John Terry grabbed a stoppage-time winner to snatch Chelsea a 1-0 win over Everton on Saturday which maintained the London club`s Premier League title challenge.
After drawing their last league game against West Bromwich Albion and suffering a chastening FA Cup defeat to rivals Manchester City, Jose Mourinho`s side were looking for a morale-boosting return to form.
Yet they looked sluggish for most of the match and when they finally sparked into life they came up against a stubborn Everton rearguard which only crumbled when a free kick from Frank Lampard found Terry who slid the ball home from close range.
Leaders Chelsea moved to 60 points from 27 games, four clear of second-placed Arsenal who face Sunderland at home later on Saturday.
Everton stayed sixth with 45 points from 26, eight adrift of Liverpool in fourth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Status of political parties to be reviewed every 10 years
- WOAH! BJP MP Paresh Rawal launches fierce attack on India's Rio Olympics officials
- 30% to vote for SP, BJP+ 27%, BSP 26% in next UP Assembly elections: Survey
- Article 370 will be dealt later, peace in Valley a priority: Ahir
- Banwarilal Purohit sworn in as Assam Governor