Terry grabs late Chelsea winner to end Everton resistance
London: John Terry grabbed a stoppage-time winner to snatch Chelsea a 1-0 win over Everton on Saturday which maintained the London club`s Premier League title challenge.
After drawing their last league game against West Bromwich Albion and suffering a chastening FA Cup defeat to rivals Manchester City, Jose Mourinho`s side were looking for a morale-boosting return to form.
Yet they looked sluggish for most of the match and when they finally sparked into life they came up against a stubborn Everton rearguard which only crumbled when a free kick from Frank Lampard found Terry who slid the ball home from close range.
Leaders Chelsea moved to 60 points from 27 games, four clear of second-placed Arsenal who face Sunderland at home later on Saturday.
Everton stayed sixth with 45 points from 26, eight adrift of Liverpool in fourth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’