Terry says what Villas-Boas did for Chelsea cannot be forgotten
London: Chelsea captain John Terry has revealed he still speaks with Andre Villas-Boas despite his sacking as manager, and that the work he did in his eight months at the club will not be forgotten.
Chelsea’s seniors were back doing their old tricks when they beat Napoli at home on Wednesday to secure a Champions League quarterfinal spot seemed to validate owner Roman Abramovich’s decision sack Villas-Boas.
Terry has now spoke up for Villas-Boas, and believes what he did for Chelsea cannot be undermined.
“I’m still in contact with him, like a lot of players here and probably will remain that way. You know on nights like this you don’t forget things like that,” a daily quoted Terry, as saying.
“He won’t be forgotten. It’s disappointing really because we would have loved things to go on [with him] and he had a vision and a plan and unfortunately that gets cut short with disappointing performances from us really,” he said.
Terry said it was the players who were not performing on the field, which ultimately lead to Villas-Boas’ sacking.
“So it has a knock on effect on him, because at the end of the day we’re the ones out there performing and we weren’t performing as well as we could do. We’ve shown what we can do tonight but still at the same time we don’t forget what he’s done,” he added.
Terry also quashed suggestions that the senior players had a major influence while making decisions at the club, one of which involved ousting Villas-Boas.
“The perception from outside is that there are problems in the football club, that senior players run the club, it’s controlled by us, we make decisions. People will continue to write that because they believe that but it’s really not the case and hasn’t been since I’ve been at the football club,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical