Terry signs new Chelsea contract
London: Chelsea captain John Terry has signed a new one-year contract, the Premier League club said on their website (www.chelseafc.com) on Tuesday.
The 33-year-old central defender has played more than 500 games for Chelsea, who he joined as a 14-year-old in 1991.
He has won the Champions League and Europa League, three Premier League titles, five FA Cups and two League Cups.
Terry played 78 times for England before announcing his international retirement in September 2012.
"I`m delighted to have signed an extension to my contract with Chelsea taking me into my 20th year with the club," he said,
"I`d like to thank the fans and club for their continued support, and the manager (Jose Mourinho) who was instrumental for me last season." Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay added: "We are very pleased John, who is an undoubted Chelsea legend, will continue to lead the team next season, as he has done for so many years with unrivalled achievement.
"Both Chelsea FC and John have been clear throughout that we wanted his outstanding career at the club to continue, and it is important the matter has been concluded so soon after the end of the season, allowing us to look forward to and plan for 2014-15."
Media reports said Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard will also sign a new deal, although the future of a third experienced England international, Ashley Cole, is less clear.
Mourinho said last week that he hoped all three players would stay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs