Three Bundesliga teams knocked out in German Cup
Berlin: Werder Bremen, Borussia Monchengladbach and newly-promoted Braunschweig were eliminated by lower league teams in the first round of the DFB Pokal German Cup.
Bremen experienced a surprising 1-3 overtime loss to third division side Saarbrucken Sunday, reports Xinhua.
Third division team Darmstadt upset Borussia Monchengladbach 5-4 on penalties following 120 goalless minutes. Both goalkeepers denied one penalty but, Monchengladbach`s Branimir Hrgota squandered the decisive penalty when he lobbed the ball on to the bar.
Newly promoted Eintracht Braunschweig lost to second division side Arminia Bielefeld 1-2.
Elsewhere, Hannover progressed into the second round with a 2-0 win over fourth division side Victoria Hamburg owing to the goals by Artur Sobiech and Szabolcs Huszti.
Vedad Ibisevic donated a brace to secure Stuttgart a 2-0 triumph over fifth division team BFC Dynamo.
Newly promoted Hertha Berlin carved out a 3-2 win over fourth division team Neumuenster thanks to the decider from Sami Allagui in the dying minutes of the match.
Frankfurt overpowered fourth division side Illertissen 2-0 to book a berth in the second round.
Defending champions Bayern Munich and Schalke will step into contest Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Excessive childbirth fear can lead to post-partum depression
- Indian Sports Fraternity on Lionel Messi's decision to quit Argentina. See their reaction on Twitter!
- Formula 1: Bernie Ecclestone planning to scrap 'unequal' prize money structure
- Top Chinese envoy visits Vietnam as South China Sea tension rises
- Sensex stays flat after worst fall in four months