Three Bundesliga teams knocked out in German Cup
Berlin: Werder Bremen, Borussia Monchengladbach and newly-promoted Braunschweig were eliminated by lower league teams in the first round of the DFB Pokal German Cup.
Bremen experienced a surprising 1-3 overtime loss to third division side Saarbrucken Sunday, reports Xinhua.
Third division team Darmstadt upset Borussia Monchengladbach 5-4 on penalties following 120 goalless minutes. Both goalkeepers denied one penalty but, Monchengladbach`s Branimir Hrgota squandered the decisive penalty when he lobbed the ball on to the bar.
Newly promoted Eintracht Braunschweig lost to second division side Arminia Bielefeld 1-2.
Elsewhere, Hannover progressed into the second round with a 2-0 win over fourth division side Victoria Hamburg owing to the goals by Artur Sobiech and Szabolcs Huszti.
Vedad Ibisevic donated a brace to secure Stuttgart a 2-0 triumph over fifth division team BFC Dynamo.
Newly promoted Hertha Berlin carved out a 3-2 win over fourth division team Neumuenster thanks to the decider from Sami Allagui in the dying minutes of the match.
Frankfurt overpowered fourth division side Illertissen 2-0 to book a berth in the second round.
Defending champions Bayern Munich and Schalke will step into contest Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016