Title champagne on ice despite Bayern Munich victory
Berlin: Bayern Munich had to put their Bundesliga title celebrations on hold on Saturday after beating gutsy Mainz 05 2-0 while Borussia Dortmund also won, 3-0 at Hanover 96.
Bayern, who face Manchester United in the Champions League quarter-finals next month, struggled at times with Mainz`s quick counter attacks but still chalked up a league record 18th consecutive victory.
The runaway leaders broke the deadlock with a Bastian Schweinsteiger header eight minutes from time before substitute Mario Goetze added a second goal after Franck Ribery had rounded the keeper.
Bayern can break the record for the quickest title triumph at Hertha Berlin on Tuesday, their eighth last game of the season.
"That would be wonderful," said Berlin-born defender Jerome Boateng. "To win the title in my home city would be great. We did the groundwork for that today."
Mainz confirmed their good recent form by putting the visitors under pressure from the start.
They missed their best chance when Cameroon international Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting, who had scored four goals in the last five games, shook off Philipp Lahm and thundered his shot on to the crossbar early in the second half.
Bayern responded in the 55th minute, Mario Mandzukic`s powerful point-blank header being saved by 20-year-old keeper Loris Karius.
Karius denied the visitors with half a dozen good saves but could do nothing to stop Schweinsteiger nodding in at the far post after a deep cross from Xherdan Shaqiri who had come on as a substitute.
Ribery then rounded the keeper and pulled the ball back for Goetze to seal the win in the 86th minute.
"We played a tough opponent and won," said coach Pep Guardiola who is on the brink of landing his first league title with Bayern.
"There was a lot of work behind this win and I can only be satisfied. Now we are one win away and can do it in the capital on Tuesday."
Bayern, who stretched their record unbeaten league run to 51 games, have 74 points.
Fellow Champions League quarter-finalists Dortmund, who eased past Hanover with goals from Mats Hummels, Robert Lewandowski and Marco Reus, are second on 51 points.
Injury-hit Schalke 04, in third spot on 50 points, fielded a young team with an average age of 23 as they defeated bottom club Eintracht Braunschweig 3-1 to notch their third straight win.
Borussia Moenchengladbach produced an explosive three-goal 12-minute spell in the first half to cruise past Hertha Berlin 3-0, Juan Arango scoring one and setting up another.
Gladbach are fifth on 42 points, two behind Bayer Leverkusen who host Hoffenheim on Sunday.
VfB Stuttgart climbed out of the relegation zone by beating 10-man Hamburg SV 1-0.
Third from bottom Hamburg had Hakan Calhanoglu sent off for a second caution in the 54th minute before Alexandru Maxim tapped in the winner.
Visiting Augsburg conceded an 81st-minute equaliser by VfL Wolfsburg`s Ivica Olic to draw 1-1.
Wolfsburg finished with 10 men after Kevin De Bruyne was handed a second yellow card for pushing the referee after disputing a stoppage-time decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked