Tito Vilanova resigns from Barcelona
San Joan Despi, Spain: Tito Vilanova has resigned as coach of Barcelona, the club have confirmed.
Club president Sandro Rosell confirmed on Friday that the 44-year-old will undergo further cancer treatment, making it "impossible for him to continue as coach"
Rumours emerged on Friday that the 44-year-old, who took over from Pep Guardiola prior to the 2012-13 season, was set to step down from his role after suffering another setback in his battle against ill-health.
Club president Sandro Rosell and director of football Andoni Zubizarreta called a press conference at Camp Nou on Friday evening, where they confirmed Vilanova must undergo further cancer treatment which would make it "impossible" for him to continue in his role.
"After looking at routine tests, there is [now] an option to continue treating his disease which means it will be impossible for him to continue as first-team coach of FC Barcelona," Rosell told reporters. "I want to ask for the maximum respect for him and his family.
"We have got together with all of the players and the coaching staff and we have decided not to play tomorrow in Poland [in a friendly against Lechia Gdansk].
"It is a very big blow, a huge blow. But Barcelona has overcome many obstacles in its history and this will be no exception."
The Barcelona squad, including Lionel Messi, were present in the front two rows of seats of the press conference as Rosell delivered the news.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray