Tolgay leads East Bengal to 1-0 win over Salgaocar
Kolkata: A lucky East Bengal on Sunday rode on Tolgay Ozbey`s strike to record a 1-0 win over defending champions Salgaocar and climb to the second position in the I-League.
East Bengal`s win in the return-leg fixture at the Yuba Bharati Krirangan here had its share of controversies, with two refereeing decisions going against the Goans.
Thanks to the 54th-minute strike, East Bengal are now second behind Dempo with 38 points.
The red-and-gold brigade are eight points behind the leaders, with five more matches remaining in the fifth season of I-League.
East Bengal fluffed two chances in the beginning of each half when Baljit Singh Sahni (8`) and Ozbey (49`) failed to put the ball in an open net.
As far Salgaocar were concerned, luck deserted them on more than one occasions.
Tamil Nadu referee C R Srikrishna failed to spot a handball by Raju Gaikwad inside the box, denying the Goans a clear penalty in the 69th minute.
In the 87th minute, Salgaocar scored from a goalmouth melee, but the referee thought otherwise in another dubious decision.
East Bengal took the lead when Man of the Match Robin Singh`s centre was headed in Ozbey.
East Bengal dominated proceedings in the second half with attacking moves.
There was a notable goalline save by East Bengal substitute Subodh Kumar who denied Salgaocar substitute Rino Anto in the 78th minute.
Baljit had a lacklustre outing and displayed little coordination with his striking partner Ozbey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends