Tom Huddlestone penalty miss mars Hull City`s European debut
Paris: Tom Huddlestone missed a penalty as Hull City emerged form their first foray into Europe in their 110-year history with a goalless draw at Slovakian side Trencin.
The English Premier League club will be ruing not coming home with the advantage from this Europa League third round first leg outing in Zilina.
After an hour`s play Shane Long was brought down in the area.
But the golden opportunity went begging as Huddlestone`s penalty was easily saved by Milos Volesak.
Huddlestone had an immediate chance at redemption from the rebound but his shot grazed the crossbar with an open goal at his mercy.
The game was staged in Zilina as Trencin`s home ground does not meet the required UEFA standards.
Manager Steve Bruce gave two of his close season new recruits -- Robert Snodgrass and Tom Ince -- a run out in the second half.
Huddlestone later tweeted his apologies for missing the penalty.
"Can only apologise to everyone for a lapse in concentration and thinking I had scored the rebound before I had. Ridiculous on my behalf," he wrote on @hudz8.
"On a positive note, the lads worked hard and defended well throughout deserved our clean-sheet. All to play for next week."
There were defeats for two of Scotland`s representatives with Real Sociedad beating Aberdeen 2-0 and St Johnstone losing 2-1 at home to Spartak Trnava of Slovakia.
Multiple French league champions Lyon look odds-on to progress to the play-offs after a 4-1 win at Czech side Mlada Boleslav.
Dutch giants PSV Eindhoven could only manage a 1-0 win at home to St Polten of Austria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Why are Antarctica ice-levels increasing? NASA has the answer!
- Buyout group to back rival's bid for Tata's UK steel assets - Sources
- French Open 2016: Angry Nick Kyrgios, Petra Kvitova pass chilly Roland Garros tests
- Working towards a technology which enables consumer to control electrical appliances at home sitting in office: TPDDL CEO Praveer Sinha
- Modi in Iran: PM promises big celebration of Guru Gobind Singh's birth anniversary