Tom Huddlestone penalty miss mars Hull City`s European debut
Paris: Tom Huddlestone missed a penalty as Hull City emerged form their first foray into Europe in their 110-year history with a goalless draw at Slovakian side Trencin.
The English Premier League club will be ruing not coming home with the advantage from this Europa League third round first leg outing in Zilina.
After an hour`s play Shane Long was brought down in the area.
But the golden opportunity went begging as Huddlestone`s penalty was easily saved by Milos Volesak.
Huddlestone had an immediate chance at redemption from the rebound but his shot grazed the crossbar with an open goal at his mercy.
The game was staged in Zilina as Trencin`s home ground does not meet the required UEFA standards.
Manager Steve Bruce gave two of his close season new recruits -- Robert Snodgrass and Tom Ince -- a run out in the second half.
Huddlestone later tweeted his apologies for missing the penalty.
"Can only apologise to everyone for a lapse in concentration and thinking I had scored the rebound before I had. Ridiculous on my behalf," he wrote on @hudz8.
"On a positive note, the lads worked hard and defended well throughout deserved our clean-sheet. All to play for next week."
There were defeats for two of Scotland`s representatives with Real Sociedad beating Aberdeen 2-0 and St Johnstone losing 2-1 at home to Spartak Trnava of Slovakia.
Multiple French league champions Lyon look odds-on to progress to the play-offs after a 4-1 win at Czech side Mlada Boleslav.
Dutch giants PSV Eindhoven could only manage a 1-0 win at home to St Polten of Austria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof