Torres facing four-match ban over `gouging` attack on Tottenham`s Vertonghen
London: Chelsea striker Fernando Torres is set to face a four-match ban for a `gouging` attack on Tottenham`s Jan Vertonghen in a 1-1 draw between the two teams recently.
According to the Mirror, Torres is now poised to fall foul of FA beaks over his initial spat with Vertonghen during Saturday`s 1-1 draw, in which he appeared to scratch and scrape at the defender`s face.
Despite the video evidence showing there was no contact with the Belgian`s face in the incident that sparked his dismissal, Torres has no right of appeal under FA rules, the report said.
Blues manager Jose Mourinho accused Tottenham`s Jan Vertonghen of conning ref Mike Dean by staying down and implying Torres had elbowed him in an aerial challenge that saw Dean show the Spaniard his second yellow card, the report added.
However, he now faces a further disciplinary charge and becoming the first player judged by the Premier League and FA`s new video panel of former referees over the first flashpoint, the report further said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Belgium detains two in new anti-terror raids: Prosecutor
- Merkel in no hurry for Britain to trigger EU exit process
- Lalchand Rajput appointed as the coach of Afghanistan cricket team
- Subramanian Swamy makes explosive claims, says Kejriwal didn't get rank in IIT, Sonia wanted Emergency in 2012
- I'm going nowhere, says UK opposition leader Corbyn