Torres hails Tahiti as the perfect example
Madrid: Fernando Torres has hailed the example shown by Tahiti as more important than the four goals he scored in Spain’s 10-0 victory over the Pacific islanders in the Confederations Cup on Thursday.
Spain’s win over a team made up of amateurs edged the European and world champions closer to the semi-finals of the Brazil tournament, but the Tahiti story captured the hearts of the Roja players as well as the boisterous crowd in the Maracana.
"What we take from this game is the example the Tahiti team, who played with 100 per cent passion and fair play until the end," said Torres.
"They try to play properly, they try to enjoy themselves. They don’t try to stop the game or kick players - they enjoy their football and that is the big thing we take from the game today.
"We were taking pictures with their players after the game. They are happy people and I really enjoyed seeing them smiling and enjoying themselves until the last minute."
Torres scored four times after opening the scoring, despite missing a penalty, as Spain mauled Tahiti with further goals from David Villa (three), David Silva (two) and Juan Mata.
The Chelsea striker described scoring in the revamped Maracana as ‘more than a dream’ and admitted Vicente del Bosque’s side showed no mercy to their opponents.
Torres added: "It’s more than a dream. No one can imagine scoring four goals in the Maracana in an official game in a great tournament.
"We focused like we were playing a final. We played with intensity and professionalism. We want to finish first in the group and we showed that with our professionalism."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends