Torres is being overworked, worries Di Matteo
London: Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo has admitted he is worried that striker Fernando Torres could suffer from “burnout” in the near future if he doesn`t get an opportunity to rest him.
Torres is the only Blues player to feature in every game they`ve played this season, but a lack of alternatives – and Daniel Sturridge’s persistent injury troubles - means his boss is heavily reliant on the Spain international.
Despite spending around €100 million in the summer on new additions for his squad, Di Matteo failed to add to his front-line options, and he is now lamenting his dearth of attacking options.
"There are no signs of Fernando being burned out at the moment, but it’s something we have to look at," Di Matteo told reporters.
"This is our seventh game in 21 days and with the intensity and tempo of these matches it’s going to be very difficult for anyone to play in them all.
"Daniel Sturridge was injured three weeks ago and we were hoping he’d be fit for this game."
Sturridge`s injury means Torres will feature once again for Chelsea, who loaned their only other striker Romelu Lukaku to West Brom in the summer.
But Di Matteo has no qualms about loaning the Belgium forward, insisting the youngster needed more regular playing time to kick-start his stalling progression.
"Romelu needs to play to improve," he added. "I’m not sure how much chance he’d have got this year."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details