Tottenham complain to FA about Stoke midfielder Charlie Adam
London: Tottenham Hotspur have written to the FA and asked them to take action against Stoke City`s Charlie Adam, whose heavy challenge on Paulinho is likely to sideline the Brazil midfielder for at least a month, the club said on Tuesday.
The incident in Sunday`s Premier League match was the fifth time that Scotland midfielder Adam had injured a Spurs player after two incidents involving Gareth Bale, and others involving Scott Parker and Jan Vertonghen.
He has also been sent off twice against Spurs, playing for both Liverpool and Stoke.
"We are not happy and we have contacted the FA," a Tottenham spokesman told Reuters.
Adam was booed by Spurs fans when he came on as a 50th-minute substitute for Stephen Ireland.
Twelve minutes later the Brazil international midfielder, who was playing a vital part in Spurs 3-0 victory, hobbled off after a crunching tackle from Adam near the halfway line. The incident went unpunished by the referee.
Spurs confirmed on their website (www.tottenhamhotpsur.com) that Paulinho had an MRI scan on Monday and is likely to be out for at least four weeks with "significant ligament damage" to his right ankle.
Bale, who left Spurs for Real Madrid in the last transfer window, was hurt twice by Adam, the first time seriously when he suffered snapped ankle ligaments when Adam was playing for Blackpool.
The second incident occurred when Adam was playing for Liverpool in a pre-season friendly in the United States in 2012.
Bale called Adam a "coward" after that injury and said at the time: "What he did was over the top. Some people are like that and it`s just wrong."
Adam tweeted on Tuesday: "Just for the record and to the people tweeting me abuse saying so, I don`t and never have had anything against @SpursOfficial. And I would never intend to injure a fellow professional."
No-one from the FA was immediately available to comment on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India