Tottenham want Pompey to pay up for Begovic non-transfer
London: Tottenham Hotspur are claiming a million pounds from Portsmouth for Bosnian goalkeeper Asmir Begovic, even though he never signed for the London club and is now at Premier League rivals Stoke City.
A report by the administrator of FA Cup finalists Portsmouth, now relegated and 119 million pounds in debt, included Begovic on a list of transfer fees owed with the explanation `sell on fee Tottenham` next to his name.
Tottenham said in a statement Thursday that the money was due to them, but disputed the explanation given by the administrator.
"The statement contained within the Administrator`s report released yesterday... that it relates to a sell-on fee for Begovic, is inaccurate, as is the statement that the player was registered with Tottenham Hotspur," the club said on their website.
Tottenham said they had agreed to the joint purchase in the January transfer window of French centre-back Younes Kaboul, who had previously been at Spurs, and Bosnian international Begovic.
"The transfer of Younes Kaboul was completed and Portsmouth pressed for an immediate payment in order to alleviate their cashflow situation," added Tottenham.
"We were assured that the transfer of Begovic would be completed before the end of the transfer window.”
"In order to assist Portsmouth with their financial difficulties we paid Portsmouth an agreed sum of money, whilst at the same time concluding an agreement that, should Begovic be sold or loaned to any Club other than ourselves, we would be repaid the sum of one million pounds."
Begovic, Portsmouth`s number two keeper, subsequently moved to Stoke in a 3.25 million pound deal.
"Our intention had been to assist a fellow Club in financial difficulties whilst at the same time protecting our commercial position," said Tottenham in the statement. "We shall continue to do the latter."
Portsmouth administrator Andrew Andronikou, whose report detailed creditors including the milkman, a local florist and a pie company, said he had no further information from what had been published.
"You can draw your own conclusions... if it`s due we`ll pay it. As a football club, they will be paid I have no doubt," he told reporters
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in