Tough draw for Indian football teams in Asian Games
New Delhi: The Indian men`s U-23 national team will be playing Jordan and UAE in Group G while the women`s senior national team have been placed in Group A with hosts South Korea, Thailand and Maldives in the upcoming Incheon Asian Games.
The draw that was released today has 29 nations in the men`s event where the teams have been divided into eight groups with five groups of four and three groups of three.
The women`s competition on the other hand has 11 teams with two groups of four and one group of three countries.
Two-time Asian Games gold medal winners India drew with UAE in the 2012 AFC U-22 Qualifiers in Muscat with a late equaliser from Dempo winger Romeo Fernandes. UAE bagged a silver medal in the 2010 Games in Guangzhou, China losing to Japan 0-1 in the final.
The women`s team will be taking part in only their second Games since 1998 where they failed to record wins against the likes of China, Chinese Taipei and South Korea in Group A.
The 17th Asian Games will start from September 19 and continue till October 4. The football will commence five days prior to the Games` opening ceremony, from September 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister