Transition from club to international football key: Chhetri
Kochi: Indian football team captain Sunil Chhetri on Tuesday said that the transition from club to international football will be crucial, even as the hosts prepared to take on Palestine in a friendly here tomorrow.
The Sporting Lisbon striker said that all his boys are coming straight into the match from I-league without any injuries.
"It`s very positive. All my colleagues who have headed straight into Kochi from the I-League aren`t carrying any injuries. That`s important. Injuries would have hampered our training, especially given the fact that we are going into the match after just two full sessions. But despite that, we stay optimistic," he said.
Chhetri said the friendly would help the team prepare better for the upcoming AFC Challenge qualifiers.
"We need to have the same momentum which we had during the Nehru Cup -- right from our first match against Syria to the final -- which we won against Cameroon.
"We stuck to our plan and stood beside each other -- both on and off the field. Sticking together stays the plan even now. Apart from the Palestine friendly, I`m eagerly looking forward to the camp in Pune for the AFC Challenge Cup qualifiers," he said.
Asked about the Palestine squad, Chhetri said: "We haven`t seen much of them but have watched some videos. If you look at their last tournament, the West Asia Cup (December 2012), they had a fairly good result. They were clubbed with Oman, Kuwait and Lebanon and had some good results.
"You need to remember that they are ranked higher than us and it will be a tough match for us. But at the same time, we play at home and how we react to the challenge will be crucial."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you