Transition from club to international football key: Chhetri
Kochi: Indian football team captain Sunil Chhetri on Tuesday said that the transition from club to international football will be crucial, even as the hosts prepared to take on Palestine in a friendly here tomorrow.
The Sporting Lisbon striker said that all his boys are coming straight into the match from I-league without any injuries.
"It`s very positive. All my colleagues who have headed straight into Kochi from the I-League aren`t carrying any injuries. That`s important. Injuries would have hampered our training, especially given the fact that we are going into the match after just two full sessions. But despite that, we stay optimistic," he said.
Chhetri said the friendly would help the team prepare better for the upcoming AFC Challenge qualifiers.
"We need to have the same momentum which we had during the Nehru Cup -- right from our first match against Syria to the final -- which we won against Cameroon.
"We stuck to our plan and stood beside each other -- both on and off the field. Sticking together stays the plan even now. Apart from the Palestine friendly, I`m eagerly looking forward to the camp in Pune for the AFC Challenge Cup qualifiers," he said.
Asked about the Palestine squad, Chhetri said: "We haven`t seen much of them but have watched some videos. If you look at their last tournament, the West Asia Cup (December 2012), they had a fairly good result. They were clubbed with Oman, Kuwait and Lebanon and had some good results.
"You need to remember that they are ranked higher than us and it will be a tough match for us. But at the same time, we play at home and how we react to the challenge will be crucial."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes