Trinidad woman footballer lands pro contract in US
Washington: A Trinidad and Tobago woman has created history by becoming the first footballer from the Caribbean to secure a contract with US’ top flight National Women’s Soccer League.
Striker Kennya Cordner has landed a contract with Washington’s Seattle Reign FC after a successful stint with the club’s reserve team.
The 24-year-old T and T international has been handed an uphill task of helping to lift the club from the bottom of the eight-team table in the league’s inaugural season, with 12 matches remaining.
“To be honest I prayed for this day all my life. And, yes I am excited to represent this club to the best of my ability. I want to prove that signing me was worth it,” said Cordner a two-time T and T female footballer of the year.
“Also, (by) my being the first ever Caribbean female footballer to earn a pro contract in the US also (gives me) a great feeling, (and it’s) not only for me but for my country.”
Cordner, a Tobago native, wooed Reign FC’s staff after scoring and providing an assist in her debut with the reserve team.
The Trinidadian footballer enjoyed a run of four goals in three matches and was given an opportunity to shine in a team which has struggled to score this season.
With 10 matches played, Reign sits in the cellar position with one draw and nine successive losses.
The team has managed to score just four goals in the same period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!