Tripura probing juvenile home death of Nigerian
Agartala: No headway has yet been made into the probe on the death of Nigerian 17-year-old footballer Auro Azendu Joel, who was found dead in a juvenile home in Tripura three days ago, officials said Saturday.
"He was found dead at a Tripura government-run juvenile home at Narshingarh (near Agartala) Wednesday night. The death might be because of illness. However, our probe is on," Deputy Superintendent of Police (Central) Rajendra Datta told reporters.
Joel was staying at the home since Sep 14, under the order of a local court after he was detained by Indian immigration officials. He was subsequently arrested by the police for allegedly forging a visa while going to Bangladesh through the Akhaurah check post, near here.
"Juvenile home officials took him to the G.B. Medical College and Hospital after he felt chest pain. Doctors at the hospital said he was brought dead," Datta said.
An inquest was conducted into the death, and police said a report is awaited.
The police official said that the young footballer, before his death, told police interrogators that he came to India 2010 and played in several south Indian clubs.
He was going to Bangladesh through Tripura to play football there on behalf of the clubs.
The deceased was the fourth Nigerian national, besides one from Sierra Leone, caught on visa forgery charges or illegal trespass from Bangladesh at different border check posts in Tripura this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray