Turkish fans injured in clashes ahead of match
Istanbul: Three Turkish soccer fans were in hospital with knife injuries after clashes ahead of a premier league match between Besiktas and defending champions Bursaspor in Istanbul, media reports said.
At least one other person was being treated in hospital for his injuries, the state-run Anatolian news agency reported.
Thousands of Besiktas fans threw rocks and bottles to break through a police cordon and attack some 1,200 Bursaspor supporters, CNN Turk said.
The channel showed footage of police using batons and tear gas to break up the skirmishes outside Besiktas`s Inonu Stadium.
Bursaspor fans blame Besiktas for their side`s relegation to the second division in 2003 after the Istanbul club played badly against another team facing possible relegation.
Since then, encounters between the fans have often led to violence.
Sunday`s game ended in a 1-0 win for 13-times champions Besiktas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster