Turkish fans injured in clashes ahead of match
Istanbul: Three Turkish soccer fans were in hospital with knife injuries after clashes ahead of a premier league match between Besiktas and defending champions Bursaspor in Istanbul, media reports said.
At least one other person was being treated in hospital for his injuries, the state-run Anatolian news agency reported.
Thousands of Besiktas fans threw rocks and bottles to break through a police cordon and attack some 1,200 Bursaspor supporters, CNN Turk said.
The channel showed footage of police using batons and tear gas to break up the skirmishes outside Besiktas`s Inonu Stadium.
Bursaspor fans blame Besiktas for their side`s relegation to the second division in 2003 after the Istanbul club played badly against another team facing possible relegation.
Since then, encounters between the fans have often led to violence.
Sunday`s game ended in a 1-0 win for 13-times champions Besiktas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back