Turkish fans injured in clashes ahead of match
Istanbul: Three Turkish soccer fans were in hospital with knife injuries after clashes ahead of a premier league match between Besiktas and defending champions Bursaspor in Istanbul, media reports said.
At least one other person was being treated in hospital for his injuries, the state-run Anatolian news agency reported.
Thousands of Besiktas fans threw rocks and bottles to break through a police cordon and attack some 1,200 Bursaspor supporters, CNN Turk said.
The channel showed footage of police using batons and tear gas to break up the skirmishes outside Besiktas`s Inonu Stadium.
Bursaspor fans blame Besiktas for their side`s relegation to the second division in 2003 after the Istanbul club played badly against another team facing possible relegation.
Since then, encounters between the fans have often led to violence.
Sunday`s game ended in a 1-0 win for 13-times champions Besiktas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virtual peer pressure can also spark competition
- Rahul Gandhi only confirming allegations against him: BJP on RSS row
- Vaishno Devi-bound pilgrim dies due to heart attack
- 'Lion' trailer: Dev Patel once again proves his acting brilliance – Watch
- US, Russia make headway on brokering truce in war-torn Syria