Two Whitehawk FC players charged with fraud
London: Two footballers at the centre of an alleged match-fixing scandal have been charged with fraud following an investigation here.
Michael Boateng, 22, and Hakeem Adelakun, 22, both from the Croydon area, are accused of conspiring to defraud bookmakers by influencing the course of football matches and placing bets.
The men play for Whitehawk FC football Club, which is part of the Conference South League. They have been bailed to appear at Birmingham Magistrates Court on December 11.
The decision was taken by the organised crime division of the Crown Prosecution Service. The men were among seven arrested last week as part of a National Crime Agency (NCA) investigation.
Two other men included in the initial arrested -- Chann Sankaran, 33, a Singaporean national and Krishna Sanjey Ganeshan, 43, of Hastings, East Sussex -- were also charged with the same offence last week.
Sankaran and Ganeshan appeared at Cannock Magistrates` Court in Staffordshire. They were not required to enter any pleas during the five-minute hearing.
Sankaran, wearing a hooded Manchester United training jacket, and his co-accused were both remanded in custody to appear at Birmingham Crown Court on December 13.
The maximum sentence for this offence is 10 years` imprisonment. Three others have been bailed pending further enquiries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez