U-17 World Cup: FIFA wants to educate AIFF
New Delhi: With India in the reckoning for hosting the Under-17 World Cup in 2017, FIFA is learnt to be keen on educating the AIFF officials on the nitty-gritty associated with organising big international football events.
The United Arab Emirates FA, host of 2013 junior World Cup, recently told the All India Football Federation that it was open to the idea of having some AIFF officials in its organising committee of the upcoming tournament so that they get first-hand experience of hosting an event of such a magnitude.
"After president Praful Patel said that India is bidding for the U-17 WC in 2017 during the our delegation`s recent visit to Dubai, UAE football body`s chief said the AIFF can send its officials to be part of the organising committee of the upcoming junior World Cup, which they are hosting in October-November," I-League CEO Sunando Dhar said.
"The idea is to know how such tournaments are organised, which can help us in smooth conduct of the tournament, provided we get it. Being part of one of their committees will help us in learning the organisational skills," he added.
Sources claimed that the UAE came up with the proposal following FIFA`s instruction.
The sport`s apex body could consider taking a final decision on India`s bid in its forthcoming executive committee meeting in May.
UAE`s proposal is likely to discussed in the AIFF`s next executive committee meeting.
India has hosted football tournaments like the AFC Challenge Cup, Nehru Cup and the SAFF Football Championships, but is still to organise a world level meet.
FIFA wants to host the tournament in India as part of its developmental plan in the country.
All the top football playing nations of the world, including Spain, Brazil, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, England, and Argentina, will be competing in the World Cup.
"The top countries are there in the World Cup and so it becomes imperative that the tournament is hosted without any glitch. So, the UAE proposal is important in that sense," an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes