Udinese go top in Italy with easy 2-0 win over Bologna
Rome: Udinese climbed above Napoli to the top of Serie A on Sunday as goals from Mehdi Benatia and Antonio Di Natale gave the Bianconeri a comfortable 2-0 home win over lowly Bologna.
Moroccan defender Benatia opened the scoring with a rare goal on 29 minutes, poking the ball home from a corner before Italian striker Di Natale settled the contest with a 72nd-minute penalty to give Udinese 11 points from five games.
Palermo and Cagliari stayed a point behind the early pacesetters with 2-0 victories.
A Giulio Migliaccio header and an injury-time penalty from Uruguayan striker Abel Hernandez gave Palermo three points at home to Siena while two first-half strikes from Davide Biondini and Ribeiro helped Cagliari to a 2-0 win at Lecce.
Sebastian Giovinco jumped to the top of the scoring charts with a first-half brace as Parma moved fifth following a 3-1 win over Genoa.
An 83rd-minute header from German forward Miroslav Klose, his third in five Serie A games, brought Lazio a barely deserved 2-1 win at Fiorentina.
Earlier on Sunday, promoted Novara and Catania played out a six-goal thriller with the exciting Alejandro Gomez equalising for the Sicilians in injury time after second half goals from two ex-Catania players Takayuki Morimoto and Jeda looked like giving the home side all three points.
In Saturday`s games, Napoli defeated Inter Milan 3-0 at the San Siro to move second while Roma recorded their second straight victory to move to seventh position, beating Atalanta 3-1.
Champions AC Milan visit Juventus in Sunday`s late match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Attack on CRPF convoy a desperate attempt to create problems: MoS Kiren Rijiju
- 'Udta Punjab' Box Office collection: Shahid Kapoor-Alia Bhatt starrer crosses Rs 50 crore mark!
- 30 dead, 21 injured after bus catches fire in central China
- Revealed! Why 'Baahubali' didn’t feature a Bollywood star-cast!
- Top 5 ways to deal with mid-life crisis!