UEFA Champions League: Bayern Munich vs Arsenal - Preview
Munich: Franck Ribery (ankle) limped off during Bayern Munich`s 3-2 win over Fortuna Dusseldorf on Saturday and is confirmed to miss the game, while Bastian Schweinsteiger and Jerome Boateng are suspended.
Jupp Heynckes is set to give starts to Luiz Gustavo and Xherdan Shaqiri against the Gunners, while Arjen Robben (calf) is a doubt after sitting out Saturday`s match.
Arsene Wenger is set to name the strongest side possible having not had a fixture since March 3 but Nacho Monreal is again unavailable, meaning that Thomas Vermaelen will deputise at left-back.
The second leg may prove too soon for Bacary Sagna (knee) so Carl Jenkinson is likely to start, while Abou Diaby (calf) could return to the bench after sitting out the north London derby.
Reports emerged on Monday night that Jack Wilshere (ankle) is set to miss the game and potentially the rest of the season.
• Bayern Munich`s superb win at the Emirates Stadium in the first leg means that the Gunners have not beaten the German side in five Champions League encounters.
• The Bavarians have conceded three goals at home in total the Champions League so far this season – a statistic that Arsene Wenger`s side need to at least double in this game alone to go through.
• Mario Mandzukic scored in the first leg, making him the 10th different player to net for Jupp Heynckes`s side in Europe this term.
• If Arsenal fail to progress, it will be the third year in a row in which they have crashed out at the last-16 stage of the tournament.
• Only two sides – Ajax and Inter – have previously made it through after losing the first leg at home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi