UEFA Champions League: Dortmund down Napoli to boost knock-out hopes
Dortmund: Last season`s finalists Borussia Dortmund breathed life into their hopes of reaching the Champions League knock-out phase with a nervous 3-1 home win over Napoli on Tuesday.
An early Marco Reus penalty and second-half strike by Jakub Blaszczykowski put Dortmund 2-0 up with an hour gone before Lorenzo Insigne pulled one back for Napoli with 20 minutes left.
Replacement Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang came on to grab Dortmund`s third, 12 minutes from time, to calm nerves and put Borussia level on nine points with Napoli in the group behind leaders Arsenal.
The victory at Dortmund`s Westfalenstadion avenged Borussia`s 2-1 defeat at Napoli in September and gives them hope of reaching the last 16 following their 1-0 home defeat by Arsenal three weeks ago.
With the Gunners three points clear, who will qualify from Group F will now be decided by the final round of pool matches when Dortmund travel to Marseille and Napoli host Arsenal in a fortnight
Having lost his entire back four to injury, Borussia coach Jurgen Klopp moved defensive midfielder Sven Bender to centre-back alongside Greece international Sokratis with his first-choice pairing of Mats Hummels and Neven Subotic ruled out.
Dortmund got an early breakthrough when Federico Fernandez hauled down Poland striker Robert Lewandowski in the area and Germany`s Reus stepped up to drill home the penalty after 10 minutes.
Just eight minutes later, Reus forced Napoli goalkeeper Pepe Reina into a diving save when he curled in a free-kick.
The first half was a nervy affair and with half an hour gone Napoli hit the post when Jose Callejon jinked inside Bender and beat Dortmund goalkeeper Roman Weidenfeller.
At the other end Lewandowski fired wide and forced Reina into one of his many fine saves in the Napoli goal.
Dortmund desperately needed a second goal to calm their nerves and there were anxious glances at Westfalenstadion when Gonzalo Higuain was put clear in the area, but Weidenfeller blocked his half volley.
Less than a minute later, Borussia grabbed their second when Dortmund swept forward on the counter-attack.
Reus broke down the left and found Poland winger Blaszczykowski unmarked to slot the ball between Reina`s legs with a first time shot on 60 minutes.
Rafael Benitez`s Napoli got back in the game with a superb goal on 70 minutes after Higuain pounced on a loose pass and with Weidenfeller off his line, Insigne fired home from a tight angle.
Only another superb save from Reina denied Dortmund replacement Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, but the Gabon winger found the net soon after.
The St Etienne man chipped Dortmund`s third goal home when the hosts` pressing game saw Lewandowski steal possession and charge down the right wing before Aubameyang chipped Reina on 78 minutes.
The third goal could prove crucial in the head-to-head stats should Dortmund and Napoli finish level after the final round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'