UEFA Champions League: Malaga deny Borussia at La Rosaleda
Madrid: There were chances aplenty in La Rosaleda but no goals, as Malaga held Borussia Dortmund to a 0-0 draw that means their dream of going all the way in the Champions League stays very much intact.
Jurgen Klopp`s men wasted ample opportunities to take a healthy lead from the first leg of this quarter-final, Mario Gotze one of the prime culprits, and will be disappointed to go back to Germany with the tie still on a knife-edge.
Buoyant after downing Porto to advance to the quarter-finals, Malaga were determined to keep their Champions League fairytale alive and came out in aggressive fashion against the German champions. Javier Saviola had an excellent early chance for the hosts; played in with a lovely flicked pass from Joaquin, the Argentine turned well in the box but could not find the target as he slammed into the side netting.
Despite pressure at the start from the Andalucians, it was Dortmund who posed the bigger threat as they attacked fluidly on the counter. A long ball was flicked on by Robert Lewandowski into the path of Mario Gotze, who easily broke the offside trap and advanced on Wilfred Caballero before being denied by the keeper. The young No.10 had a similarly golden chance just minutes later, once more failing to beat the veteran shot-stopper after being fed by Marco Reus.
The first half developed in frantic fashion, with both teams looking to open the scoring. The next BVB man to curse his luck in front of the net was Kevin Grosskreutz, who spurned a wonderful opportunity after 29 minutes. The midfielder was in the right place to slot Lukas Piszczek`s low cross home after more intelligent approach play from Lewandowski, but with Caballero scrambling to cover his left post the shot slipped wide, sparing Malaga.
The Boquerones also threatened in front of their own fans, most notably with a corner that required a sterling Dortmund effort to keep the ball out. Weligton`s initial header was well-saved by Roman Weidenfeller, but the rebound was steered towards the empty net and it was Gotze who popped up at the far post to head away from danger.
Following the entertainment of the first half, it was no surprise to see Dortmund charge straight back on to the offensive when the game recommenced. Gotze`s pull-back took a substantial deflection in the box, steering it into the path of Lewandowski, who looked destined to score. The Poland international`s usually razor-sharp instincts in front of goal failed him, however, and the result was a pathetic scuffed effort that once more let Malaga off the hook.
Gotze was guilty of missing a couple of glorious efforts before the break, and the playmaker`s rotten luck continued as another shot failed to hit the mark. Streaking through to meet a well-placed ball, Mario had little angle to aim at but would still have been disappointed not to test Caballero as his shot flew past the right-hand post to keep the score level. At the other end, meanwhile, Isco appeared with a thundering half-volley that required Weidenfeller to send the ball away with his fists.
Malaga and Dortmund continued to press until the very final whistle, but despite hatfuls of excellent chances for both teams across the clash, there was no separating the two combatants as time was called on an entertaining goal-less draw.
BVB will welcome Malaga for the second leg of the quarter-final clash in Signal Iduna Park, on April 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview