UEFA Champions League: Manchester City beat Bayern 3-2
Berlin: The German giants` 10-game winning steak came to an end after all they sit atop the standings in group D following their 3-2 defeat to the "Citizens" Tuesday.
Bayern Munich suffered their first loss since July 27 as the visitors from Manchester City turned the tides after a 2-0 deficit to snatch a 3-2 triumph. The hosts dominated the first half but retracted with the restart allowing the "Citizens" to get back into the game, Xinhua reported.
Bayern dominated the opening period and caught a brilliant start as Thomas Mueller utilised Dante`s through ball to beat onrushing Joe Hart into the bottom corner with just five minutes into the game.
Only seven minutes later, Bayern doubled the lead as Manchester City failed to clear the ball following a corner thus Mario Goetze poked home a rebound from very close range into the near post corner.
The German record champions retracted with the lead behind whereas the visitors were able to establish their rhythm. Their efforts were rewarded at the 28th minute when David Silva reduced the arrears following a combination via James Milner inside the box.
After the restart Bayern failed to regain control of the match and City shocked the hosts as Dante`s foul play to Milner allowed Aleksandar Kolarov to restore parity from the spot at the 59th minute.
However, Manuel Pellegrini`s men were not done with the scoring when Milner slotted home Jesus Navas harmless cross at the back post to make it 3-2 on the score sheets in the 62nd minute.
It could have been worse for the defending cup holders as Manuel Neuer denied Alvaro Negredos attempt on target following a moment of madness by Dante in the closing period.
Nonetheless, Bayern lead group D with 15 points followed by Manchester City, Plzen and CSKA Moskva.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan