UEFA Champions League: Manchester City beat Bayern 3-2
Berlin: The German giants` 10-game winning steak came to an end after all they sit atop the standings in group D following their 3-2 defeat to the "Citizens" Tuesday.
Bayern Munich suffered their first loss since July 27 as the visitors from Manchester City turned the tides after a 2-0 deficit to snatch a 3-2 triumph. The hosts dominated the first half but retracted with the restart allowing the "Citizens" to get back into the game, Xinhua reported.
Bayern dominated the opening period and caught a brilliant start as Thomas Mueller utilised Dante`s through ball to beat onrushing Joe Hart into the bottom corner with just five minutes into the game.
Only seven minutes later, Bayern doubled the lead as Manchester City failed to clear the ball following a corner thus Mario Goetze poked home a rebound from very close range into the near post corner.
The German record champions retracted with the lead behind whereas the visitors were able to establish their rhythm. Their efforts were rewarded at the 28th minute when David Silva reduced the arrears following a combination via James Milner inside the box.
After the restart Bayern failed to regain control of the match and City shocked the hosts as Dante`s foul play to Milner allowed Aleksandar Kolarov to restore parity from the spot at the 59th minute.
However, Manuel Pellegrini`s men were not done with the scoring when Milner slotted home Jesus Navas harmless cross at the back post to make it 3-2 on the score sheets in the 62nd minute.
It could have been worse for the defending cup holders as Manuel Neuer denied Alvaro Negredos attempt on target following a moment of madness by Dante in the closing period.
Nonetheless, Bayern lead group D with 15 points followed by Manchester City, Plzen and CSKA Moskva.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert