UEFA Champions League: Manchester United vs Real Madrid -Preview
Manchester: Jose Mourinho has first-choice goalkeeper Iker Casillas back in his squad for the game at Old Trafford for the first time since January 23, but it remains unlikely that the Spain international will feature.
Marcelo is also back in contention after recovering from injury and will push Fabio Coentrao for a place at left-back.
The Real Madrid boss rested plenty of key players in the win over Barcelona at the weekend. Alvaro Arbeloa, Sami Khedira, Angel Di Maria, Mesut Ozil and Cristiano Ronaldo will all return to the starting line-up.
Phil Jones (ankle), who impressed in the first leg, is a doubt to feature on Tuesday, though Tom Cleverley is expected to come in for the Red Devils in midfield.
However, Rio Ferdinand is expected to return to the side after missing the win over Norwich at the weekend with illness.
Jonny Evans is likely to once again partner the Englishman in defence, with Nemanja Vidic who played at the weekend, missing out.
• The two previous Champions League encounters between Manchester United and Real Madrid at Old Trafford have produced 12 goals.
• Cristiano Ronaldo has scored seven goals in 23 Champions League games at Old Trafford. He has 16 goals in 18 European games at the Santiago Bernabeu.
• Angel Di Maria has four assists in the competition this season, all coming against Manchester teams - three against City and one against United.
• Real Madrid are one of two Spanish teams to have beaten Manchester United at Old Trafford in the Champions League. Deportivo La Coruna won 3-2 back in April 2000.
• Jose Mourinho has never won a Champions League game at Old Trafford. Porto`s progress was built on a 1-1 draw while Inter lost 2-0 at United in 2008-09.
• On the two occasions the Real Madrid boss has won the Champions League, his teams have have knocked out English opposition in the last 16.
• United have managed only two clean sheets in their last 10 home Champions League games.
• Alex Ferguson has only won twice in his 15 competitive encounters with Jose Mourinho.
• The Red Devils have had their woodwork rattled six times, the most of any side in the tournament this season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!