UEFA Champions League: Persie-inspired Manchester United defeat Braga 3-1
Braga: Manchester United came from a goal down in Portugal to beat Braga 3-1 and secure their progress into the knock-out round of the Champions League.
Braga dominated the first hour of the game and went ahead early in the second half when Alan converted a penalty for the hosts.
But, following a power cut just before the hour mark, United returned to the pitch and turned the match around in the final ten minutes thanks to goals from Van Persie, a spot kick from Wayne Rooney and a late strike from Chicharito.
Chris Smalling made his first appearance of the season as United made six changes from the weekend win over Arsenal. Van Persie dropped to the bench with Sir Alex Ferguson opting for the front pairing of Danny Welbeck and Chicharito, while Antonio Valencia played as a make shift right-back. Braga coach Jose Peseiro selected the same side which lost the return fixture at Old Trafford.
The hosts had the first sight on goal in the fifth minute when Eder flashed a shot across David De Gea from a wide angle after Johnny Evans allowed the Braga forward to skip into the area unopposed.
United managed to settle into the match following the early scare, but it was Braga who again came closest to scoring when Ruben Michel was invited to shoot by United`s retreating defence, but the midfielder could only curl his shot a yard wide of the top corner.
Michel continued to find space in the visitors’ half and Braga almost reaped the rewards when Eder`s low diving header, from Michel`s cross, hit the post with De Gea beaten.
The hosts began the second period how they ended the first and were awarded a penalty only three minutes after the restart when Evans blocked off Custodio`s run into the box. Alan stepped up and emphatically converted to give Braga a deserved lead.
A power cut in the 57th minute delayed the game temporarily, with both sets of bemused players leaving the field of play while officials worked on the stadium`s floodlights.
Rio Ferdinand replaced Evans when the game resumed, with Van Persie also coming on for Welbeck shortly after, as United pressed for an equaliser. Braga began to sit deep in their half after going ahead but continued to pose a threat on the break.
Sir Alex`s charges began to show signs of life as the match edged into the final ten minutes and had opposition goalkeeper Beto to thank for levelling the scores when he rashly ran out of his area to halt Van Persie, only for the Dutchman to whip the ball out of his reach and into the empty net.
And moments later the turnaround was complete. United were awarded a penalty after Rooney was brought down in the area, a spot-kick the forward dispatched with ease.
Chicharito added a late third for the visitors in injury time with a close-range finish to seal United’s progression to the next stage with a 100 per cent record.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon