UEFA Champions League Preview: Bayern Munich vs Juventus
Munich: Bayern Munich could welcome back Jerome Boateng and Bastian Schweinsteiger, who both missed the 2-0 second-leg defeat to Arsenal, for their quarter-final showdown with Serie A champions Juventus.
However, Javi Martinez is suspended for the clash, which means Luiz Gustavo should replace the Spaniard. Long-term absentee Holger Badstuber remains sidelined with ruptured knee ligaments.
Brazilian centre-back Dante and Philipp Lahm are in danger of missing the return leg in Turin on April 10 should they pick up a booking in this encounter.
Juventus, meanwhile, have concerns over the fitness of attacker Sebastian Giovinco, who was scythed down by Esteban Cambiasso in their 2-1 Derby d`Italia victory over Inter, although he has been included in the 22-man squad.
Mirko Vucinic is recovering from flu, which means Fabio Quagliarella and Alessandro Matri are likely to be Conte`s preferred striking partnership, although Vucinic could be fit to feature.
Stephan Lichtsteiner, Arturo Vidal and Claudio Marchisio are walking a discipinary tightrope as a booking incurred here would mean they miss the next match.
• Bayern Munich go into this match in sparkling form having destroyed Hamburg 9-2 at the weekend. Claudio Pizarro grabbed four goals and two assists.
• In the previous meeting Bayern beat Juventus 4-1 in Turin to eliminate them from the group stages in 2009-10 season. Only Gianluigi Buffon and Claudio Marchisio are likely to survive from that starting XI in this game for the Bianconeri.
• Die Roten coach Jupp Heynckes masterminded victory over Juventus when he was Real Madrid boss, guiding them to a Champions League final 1-0 win in 1998.
• Juventus last lost an away match in Europe back in 2010 when they were beaten 4-1 by Fulham in the Europa League.
• Fabio Quagliarella has netted four goals in 248 minutes of action in the Champions League.
• The Old Lady have not reached the last four since overcoming Barcelona in the 2002-03 campaign.