UEFA Champions League: Real Madrid beat Galatasaray 3-0 to move closer to semis
Madrid: Real Madrid have one foot planted firmly in the Champions League semi-finals after a commanding 3-0 victory over Galatasaray in the first-leg of their quarter-final tie on Wednesday.
A superb opener from Cristiano Ronaldo and a close-range second from Karim Benzema put los Blancos in the driving seat with a 2-0 lead at the Bernabeu before the half-hour mark.
And though Galatasaray showed some promise, Madrid were always the superior side, and Gonzalo Higuain came off the bench to nod home a third in the 73rd minute to make the second-leg at the Ali Sami Yen little more than a formality, barring a monumental collapse from Jose Mourinho`s men.
Benzema was preferred to Higuain up front, while Michael Essien replaced Alvaro Arbeloa at right-back, and captain Iker Casillas was excluded from the squad altogether.
With only nine minutes on the clock, Madrid were ahead. Mesut Ozil was the architect, slipping in Ronaldo with a superb through ball, which was matched by an exquisite lob over Fernando Muslera.
Didier Drogba had a chance to respond after shaking off Raphael Varane with a powerful turn and squaring up to goal, but the Ivorian rather snatched at his shot and sent it high and wide.
There was real ebb and flow developing to the game, and the sprightly Ozil was denied from the edge of the box by Muslera, before Drogba’s swerving effort from distance was met with a safety-first punch from Diego Lopez.
But only one side were able to make their chances count, and Madrid gave another lesson in clinical finishing just before the half-hour mark. Essien’s cross was plucked from the air exquisitely at the far post by Benzema, who was then left with a simple tap-in.
Galatasaray, to their credit, or perhaps because they had no other option, kept pushing forward. Burak Yilmaz missed from close range after Drogba had bettered Sergio Ramos, and Emmanuel Eboue tested Lopez with a low drive following a one-two with the Ivorian striker.
But the hosts’ forays forward meant that the possibility of a third Madrid goal always existed, and after a cheap foul by Dany Nounkeu at the corner of the box, Ronaldo dipped the resulting free-kick onto the roof of the net shortly before the break.
But in sharp contrast to the enterprise that marked the first half, the second period progressed with a far more measured tempo from Madrid, who, with a two goal advantage in hand, seemed content to make the visitors chase the game by holding onto the ball.
And with 17 minutes remaining, substitute Higuain all but put the tie to bed by guiding a header into the back of the net from Xabi Alonso’s free-kick into the box.
Ronaldo’s acrobatic attempt at a fourth was blocked by Eboue, who had initially allowed the Portuguese space for the shot, but Mourinho`s men had done their job, and played out the remaining minutes in control to set up what looks like a straightforward second leg.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800