UEFA Champions League: Wayne Rooney guides Manchester United to 4-2 win over Bayer Leverkusen
Manchester: Wayne Rooney reached 200 Manchester United goals with a brace to give David Moyes a 4-2 win over Bayer Leverkusen in his first Champions League group game on Tuesday.
Once again sporting a black headband to protect a facial injury he picked up last month, Rooney scored twice and made another goal as Moyes made an encouraging European bow at Old Trafford.
Overseeing his first continental game since succeeding Alex Ferguson as manager, Moyes saw Rooney, his former Everton protege, give United a 22nd-minute lead.
Simon Rolfes equalised with a deflected shot in the 54th minute, but Robin van Persie`s fine volley restored United`s lead five minutes later and further goals from Rooney and Antonio Valencia completed the job.
After an uncertain start to the season, United appear to have rediscovered their scoring touch ahead of Sunday`s trip to derby rivals Manchester City in the Premier League.
Leverkusen coach Sami Hyypia, another Champions League novice, saw Omer Toprak add a late goal, but it was a chastening evening for the ex-Liverpool defender, whose side must also contend with Shakhtar Donetsk and Real Sociedad in Group A.
United made the breakthrough midway through the first half, Rooney dispatching a cross from Patrice Evra with a side-foot volley, but Leverkusen appeared to have twofold grounds for complaint.
Evra looked marginally offside as he crossed from the left and Valencia, backing into Leverkusen goalkeeper Bernd Leno, was clearly offside when the ball left Rooney`s foot.
Nonetheless, the goal stood, and Rooney went close to adding to it with a replica of his free-kick from Saturday`s 2-0 win over Crystal Palace, only to bend his shot a foot too far.
It should have been 2-0 early in the second half, but Rooney let Leverkusen off the hook when a goal seemed certain.
After seizing on a slip by Toprak, the United number 10 rounded Leno, but with the goal vacant and Van Persie charging in, he somehow contrived to miss both net and team-mate with a low cross-shot from a tight angle.
Moments later Leverkusen equalised, Rolfes curling a shot inside the left-hand post via a deflection off Michael Carrick, but although Moyes put his head in his hands, his side took just five minutes to respond.
Valencia motored into space on the right before dispatching a cross and Van Persie showed wonderful agility to meet the ball with a hip-high right-foot volley that a startled Leno could not keep out.
The hosts` failure to clear in the 69th minute allowed Lars Bender a crack at goal, but David De Gea saved smartly and from the United goalkeeper`s resulting kick, Rooney doubled his side`s lead.
Emir Spahic could only head the ball into Rooney`s path, and the England striker shortened his stride before whipping the ball past Leno at his near post to bring up a double-century of United goals.
Rooney completed his night`s work by teeing up Valencia to drill home United`s fourth in the 79th minute.
A calamitous finale saw Toprak pull a goal back with two minutes to play after De Gea flapped at a corner before Van Persie somehow missed an open goal from two yards out, but it was not enough to spoil Moyes`s night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow