UEFA embargo for Malaga and Atletico Madrid
Madrid: European soccer body UEFA has announced an embargo on Spanish clubs Atletico Madrid and Malaga while it investigates their debts towards employees, with other clubs and to tax authorities.
According to UEFA`s fair-play laws, clubs participating in European competitions (Malaga are in the Champions League and Atletico are in the Europa League) are obliged to present information over the state of their outstanding payments going back to June 30.
UEFA announced after their last meeting in August that "there are important payments pending with other clubs and/or employees or authorities in the form of taxes".
The action means that neither Malaga nor Atletico, which last season won the Europa League after defeating Athletic Club Bilbao in the final, will receive the relevant prize money from their appearances in this season`s competitions until the issue is resolved.
The clubs have been given until the end of September to bring their payments up to date.
Another 21 European clubs, including Sporting de Portugal and CSKA Sofia, have had the same measures applied.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know